Pronunciation: (min'u-mum), [key]
—n., pl. -mums, -maPronunciation: (-mu), [key]
1. the least quantity or amount possible, assignable, allowable, or the like.
2. the lowest speed permitted on a highway.
3. the lowest amount, value, or degree attained or recorded.
4. an arbitrary amount set by a restaurant, nightclub, etc., as the least amount to be charged each person for food and drink. Cf. cover charge.
a. Also called relative minimum, local minimum. the value of a function at a certain point in its domain, which is less than or equal to the values at all other points in the immediate vicinity of the point. Cf. absolute minimum.
b. the point in the domain at which a minimum occurs.
1. noting or indicating a minimum.
2. least possible: minimum risk.
3. lowest: a minimum rate.
4. pertaining to a minimum or minimums.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.