Pronunciation: (mi-stāk'), [key]
—n., v., -took, -tak•en, -tak•ing.
1. an error in action, calculation, opinion, or judgment caused by poor reasoning, carelessness, insufficient knowledge, etc.
2. a misunderstanding or misconception.
3. and no mistake, for certain; surely: He's an honorable person, and no mistake.
1. to regard or identify wrongly as something or someone else: I mistook him for the mayor.
2. to understand, interpret, or evaluate wrongly; misunderstand; misinterpret.
to be in error.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.