Pronunciation: (mik'sur), [key]
1. a person or thing that mixes.
2. a person, with reference to sociability: She's a good mixer to have at a large party.
3. a kitchen utensil or an electrical appliance having one or more beaters and used in mixing, beating, or blending foods.
4. Also,mix.a beverage, as ginger ale, fruit juice, or soda water that can be combined with liquor to produce a mixed drink, esp. a highball.
5. Audio.an electronic device for blending, fading, substitution, etc., of sounds from various sources, as from microphones or separately recorded soundtracks, for broadcast or recording.
6. Radio and Television, Recording. a technician who operates a mixer in a studio.
7. the person responsible for the original recording of a movie soundtrack. Cf. recordist.
8. a social event, as a party or dance, where people can meet informally.
9. See mixing faucet.
10. Metall.a container for blending and storing molten pig iron from several blast furnaces.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.