Pronunciation: (mō'bul, -bēl or, esp. Brit., -bīl for 1-8, 10, 11; mō'bēl or, Brit., -bīl for 9), [key]
1. capable of moving or being moved readily.
2. utilizing motor vehicles for ready movement: a mobile library.
3. Mil.permanently equipped with vehicles for transport.
4. flowing freely, as a liquid.
5. changeable or changing easily in expression, mood, purpose, etc.: a mobile face.
6. quickly responding to impulses, emotions, etc., as the mind.
a. characterized by or permitting the mixing of social groups.
b. characterized by or permitting relatively free movement from one social class or level to another.
8. of or pertaining to a mobile.
1. a piece of sculpture having delicately balanced units constructed of rods and sheets of metal or other material suspended in midair by wire or twine so that the individual parts can move independently, as when stirred by a breeze. Cf. stabile (def. 3).
2. Informal.a mobile home.
3. CB Radio Slang.a vehicle.
Pronunciation: (mō-bēl', mō'bēl), [key]
1. a seaport in SW Alabama at the mouth of the Mobile River. 200,452.
2. a river in SW Alabama, formed by the confluence of the Alabama and Tombigbee rivers. 38 mi. (61 km) long.
a combining form extracted from automobile, occurring as the final element in compounds denoting specialized types of motorized conveyances: snowmobile; esp. productive in coinages naming vehicles equipped to procure or deliver objects, provide services, etc., to people without regular access to these: bloodmobile; bookmobile; clubmobile; jazzmobile.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.