Pronunciation: (mōd'l), [key]
1. of or pertaining to mode, manner, or form.
a. pertaining to mode, as distinguished from key.
b. based on a scale other than major or minor.
3. Also,single modal. Transp.pertaining to or suitable for transportation involving only one form of a carrier, as truck, rail, or ship. Cf. bimodal (def. 3), intermodal.
4. Gram.noting or pertaining to mood.
5. Philos.pertaining to a mode of a thing, as distinguished from one of its basic attributes or from its substance or matter.
6. Logic.exhibiting or expressing some phase of modality.
See modal auxiliary.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.