Pronunciation: (môr'dnt), [key]
1. sharply caustic or sarcastic, as wit or a speaker; biting.
2. burning; corrosive.
3. having the property of fixing colors, as in dyeing.
1. a substance used in dyeing to fix the coloring matter, esp. a metallic compound, as an oxide or hydroxide, that combines with the organic dye and forms an insoluble colored compound or lake in the fiber.
2. an adhesive substance for binding gold or silver leaf to a surface.
3. an acid or other corrosive substance used in etching to eat out the lines, areas, etc.
to impregnate or treat with a mordant.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.