Pronunciation: (muf), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/muff.html on line 75 [key]
1. a thick, tubular case for the hands, covered with fur or other material, used by women and girls for warmth and as a handbag.
2. a bungled or clumsy action or performance.
3. Sports.a failure to hold onto a ball that may reasonably be expected to be caught successfully.
4. a tuft of feathers on the sides of the head of certain fowls.
5. Slang (vulgar).a woman's pubic area.
6. See under muff glass.
1. Informal.to bungle; handle clumsily: He muffed a good opportunity.
2. Sports.to fail to hold onto (a ball that may reasonably be expected to be caught successfully); fumble.
Informal.to bungle; perform clumsily.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.