Pronunciation: (myoor'ul), [key]
1. a large picture painted or affixed directly on a wall or ceiling.
2. a greatly enlarged photograph attached directly to a wall.
3. a wallpaper pattern representing a landscape or the like, often with very widely spaced repeats so as to produce the effect of a mural painting on a wall of average size; a trompe l'oeil.
1. of, pertaining to, or resembling a wall.
2. executed on or affixed to a wall: mural inscriptions.
3. pertaining to any of several astronomical instruments that were affixed to a wall aligned on the plane of a meridian, and were formerly used to measure the altitude of celestial bodies: a mural quadrant; a mural circle.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.