Pronunciation: (mûr'dur), [key]
1. Law.the killing of another human being under conditions specifically covered in law. In the U.S., special statutory definitions include murder committed with malice aforethought, characterized by deliberation or premeditation or occurring during the commission of another serious crime, as robbery or arson (first-degree murder), and murder by intent but without deliberation or premeditation (second-degree murder).
2. Slang.something extremely difficult or perilous: That final exam was murder!
3. get away with murder, Informal.to engage in a deplorable activity without incurring harm or punishment: The new baby-sitter lets the kids get away with murder.
4. murder will out, a secret will eventually be exposed.
5. yell or scream bloody murder,
a. to scream loudly in pain, fear, etc.
b. to protest loudly and angrily: If I don't get a good raise I'm going to yell bloody murder.
1. Law.to kill by an act constituting murder.
2. to kill or slaughter inhumanly or barbarously.
3. to spoil or mar by bad performance, representation, pronunciation, etc.: The tenor murdered the aria.
to commit murder.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.