Pronunciation: (musk), [key]
1. a substance secreted in a glandular sac under the skin of the abdomen of the male musk deer, having a strong odor, and used in perfumery.
2. an artificial imitation of the substance.
3. a similar secretion of other animals, as the civet, muskrat, and otter.
4. the odor of musk or some similar odor.
5. Bot.any of several plants, as the monkey flower, having a musky fragrance.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.