Pronunciation: (muz'ul), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/muzzle.html on line 73 [key]
—n., v., -zled, -zling.
1. the mouth, or end for discharge, of the barrel of a gun, pistol, etc.
2. the projecting part of the head of an animal, including jaws, mouth, and nose. See diag. under dog.
3. a device, usually an arrangement of straps or wires, placed over an animal's mouth to prevent the animal from biting, eating, etc.
1. to put a muzzle on (an animal or its mouth) so as to prevent biting, eating, etc.
2. to restrain from speech, the expression of opinion, etc.: The censors muzzled the press.
3. Naut.to attach the cable to the stock of (an anchor) by means of a light line to permit the anchor to be pulled loose readily.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.