Pronunciation: (nam'bē-pam'bē), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/namby-pamby.html on line 77 [key]
—adj., n., pl. -bies for 4.
1. without firm methods or policy; weak or indecisive: namby-pamby handling of juvenile offenders.
2. lacking in character, directness, or moral or emotional strength: namby-pamby writing.
3. weakly sentimental, pretentious, or affected; insipid.
1. a namby-pamby person: written by and for namby-pambies.
2. namby-pamby sentiment: the harmless namby-pamby of a birthday card.
3. namby-pamby verse or prose.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.