Pronunciation: (nef'yOO or, esp. Brit., nev'yOO), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/nephew.html on line 77 [key]
1. a son of one's brother or sister.
2. a son of one's spouse's brother or sister.
3. an illegitimate son of a clergyman who has vowed celibacy (used as a euphemism).
4. Obs.a direct descendant, esp. a grandson.
5. Obs.a remote male descendant, as a grandnephew or cousin.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.