Pronunciation: (nOO'trul, nyOO'-), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/neutral.html on line 79 [key]
1. not taking part or giving assistance in a dispute or war between others: a neutral nation during World War II.
2. not aligned with or supporting any side or position in a controversy: The arbitrator was absolutely neutral.
3. of or belonging to a neutral state or party: neutral territory.
4. of no particular kind, characteristics, etc.; indefinite: a neutral personality that made no impression whatever; a sex-neutral job title.
5. (of a color or shade)
a. gray; without hue; of zero chroma; achromatic.
b. matching well with many or most other colors or shades, as white or beige.
6. Bot., Zool.neuter.
7. not causing or reflecting a change in something: It is believed that the new tax law will be revenue neutral.
8. Chem.exhibiting neither acid nor alkaline qualities: neutral salts.
a. (of a particle) having no charge.
b. (of an atom, molecule, collection of particles, fluid, or solid) having no net charge; electroneutral; not electrified.
c. not magnetized.
10. Phonet.(of a vowel) pronounced with the tongue relaxed in a central position, as the a in alive; reduced.
1. a person or a nation that remains neutral, as in a controversy or war.
2. a citizen of a neutral nation during a war.
3. Mach., Auto.the position or state of disengaged gears or other interconnecting parts: in neutral.
4. a neutral color.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.