Pronunciation: (nī'si-tē), [key]
1. a delicate or fine point; punctilio: niceties of protocol.
2. a fine distinction; subtlety; detail: the niceties of the filigree work.
3. Usually, niceties. a refined, elegant, or choice feature, as of manner or living: working hard to acquire the niceties of life.
4. exactness or precision.
5. the quality of being nice; niceness.
6. delicacy of character, as of something requiring care or tact: a matter of considerable nicety.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.