Pronunciation: (nôrth"west'; Naut.nôr"west'), [key]
1. a point on the compass midway between north and west. Abbr.: NW
2. a region in this direction.
3. the Northwest,
a. the northwestern part of the United States, esp. Washington, Oregon, and Idaho.
b. the northwestern part of the United States when its western boundary was the Mississippi River.
c. the northwestern part of Canada.
1. Also,north"west'ern.coming from the northwest: a northwest wind.
2. directed toward the northwest: sailing a northwest course.
1. from the northwest.
2. toward the northwest: sailing northwest.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.