Pronunciation: (nō'tu-bul), [key]
1. worthy of note or notice; noteworthy: a notable success; a notable theory.
2. prominent, important, or distinguished: many notable artists.
3. Archaic.capable, thrifty, and industrious.
1. a prominent, distinguished, or important person.
2. (usually cap.) Fr. Hist.
a. one of a number of prominent men, usually of the aristocracy, called by the king on extraordinary occasions.
b. Notables,Also called Assembly of the Notables. an assembly of high-ranking nobles, ecclesiastics, and state functionaries having deliberative but not legislative or administrative powers, convoked by the king principally in 1554, 1786, and 1788, in the lattermost year to establish the manner for selecting the States-General.
3. Obs.a notable fact or thing.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.