Pronunciation: (nuth'ing-nis), [key]
1. the state of being nothing.
2. something that is nonexistent: a view of humanity as suspended between infinity and nothingness.
3. lack of being; nonexistence: The sound faded into nothingness.
4. unconsciousness or death: She remembered a dizzy feeling, then nothingness.
5. utter insignificance, emptiness, or worthlessness; triviality: The days followed one another in an endless procession of nothingness.
6. something insignificant or without value.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.