Pronunciation: (nō'shun), [key]
1. a general understanding; vague or imperfect conception or idea of something: a notion of how something should be done.
2. an opinion, view, or belief: That's his notion, not mine.
3. conception or idea: his notion of democracy.
4. a fanciful or foolish idea; whim: She had a notion to swim in the winter.
5. an ingenious article, device, or contrivance; knickknack.
6. notions,small articles, as buttons, thread, ribbon, and other personal items, esp. such items displayed together for sale, as in a department store.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.