Pronunciation: (nûr'su-rē), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/nursery.html on line 73 [key]
1. a room or place set apart for young children.
2. a nursery school or day nursery.
3. a place where young trees or other plants are raised for transplanting, for sale, or for experimental study.
4. any place in which something is bred, nourished, or fostered: The art institute has been the nursery of much great painting.
5. any situation, condition, circumstance, practice, etc., serving to breed or foster something: Slums are nurseries for young criminals.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.