Pronunciation: (ok'yu-pī"), [key]
—v., -pied, -py•ing.
1. to take or fill up (space, time, etc.): I occupied my evenings reading novels.
2. to engage or employ the mind, energy, or attention of: Occupy the children with a game while I prepare dinner.
3. to be a resident or tenant of; dwell in: We occupied the same house for 20 years.
4. to take possession and control of (a place), as by military invasion.
5. to hold (a position, office, etc.).
to take or hold possession.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.