Pronunciation: (ō-kon'ur), [key]
1. Frank (Michael Donovan), 1903–66, Irish writer.
2. (Mary) Flannery, 1925–64, U.S. novelist and short-story writer.
3. John Joseph, Cardinal, born 1920, U.S. Roman Catholic clergyman: archbishop of New York since 1984.
4. Sandra Day, born 1930, U.S. jurist: associate justice of the U.S. Supreme Court since 1981 and first woman appointed to that position.
5. Thomas Power, 1848–1929, Irish journalist, author, and political leader.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.