Pronunciation: (uv, ov; unstressed uv or, esp. before consonants, u), [key]
1. (used to indicate distance or direction from, separation, deprivation, etc.): within a mile of the church; south of Omaha; to be robbed of one's money.
2. (used to indicate derivation, origin, or source): a man of good family; the plays of Shakespeare; a piece of cake.
3. (used to indicate cause, motive, occasion, or reason): to die of hunger.
4. (used to indicate material, component parts, substance, or contents): a dress of silk; an apartment of three rooms; a book of poems; a package of cheese.
5. (used to indicate apposition or identity): Is that idiot of a salesman calling again?
6. (used to indicate specific identity or a particular item within a category): the city of Chicago; thoughts of love.
7. (used to indicate possession, connection, or association): the king of France; the property of the church.
8. (used to indicate inclusion in a number, class, or whole): one of us.
9. (used to indicate the objective relation, the object of the action noted by the preceding noun or the application of a verb or adjective): the ringing of bells; He writes her of home; I'm tired of working.
10. (used to indicate reference or respect): There is talk of peace.
11. (used to indicate qualities or attributes): an ambassador of remarkable tact.
12. (used to indicate a specified time): They arrived of an evening.
13. Chiefly Northern U.S.before the hour of; until: twenty minutes of five.
14. on the part of: It was very mean of you to laugh at me.
15. in respect to: fleet of foot.
16. set aside for or devoted to: a minute of prayer.
17. Archaic.by: consumed of worms.
Pronunciation: (uv), [key]
—auxiliary v. Pron. Spelling.
have: He should of asked me first. Cf. a 4.
var. of ob- (by assimilation) before f: offend.
Old French. Also,OF.,O.F.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.