Pronunciation: (u-fen'siv or, for 4, 5, ô'fen-, of'en-), [key]
1. causing resentful displeasure; highly irritating, angering, or annoying: offensive television commercials.
2. unpleasant or disagreeable to the sense: an offensive odor.
3. repugnant to the moral sense, good taste, or the like; insulting: an offensive remark; an offensive joke.
4. pertaining to offense or attack: the offensive movements of their troops.
5. characterized by attack; aggressive: offensive warfare.
1. the position or attitude of aggression or attack: to take the offensive.
2. an aggressive movement or attack: a carefully planned naval offensive.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.