Pronunciation: (u-rij'u-nl-ē), [key]
1. with respect to origin; by origin: Originally he came from California.
2. at the origin; at first: Originally this was to be in three volumes.
3. in the first place; primarily: Originally nomads, they first learned agriculture from the missionaries.
4. in an original, novel, or distinctively individual manner: Originally planned houses are much in demand.
5. Archaic.from the beginning; from the first; inherently.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.