Pronunciation: (ôr-thog'ru-fē), [key]
—pl. -phies for 3–5.
1. the art of writing words with the proper letters, according to accepted usage; correct spelling.
2. the part of language study concerned with letters and spelling.
3. a method of spelling, as by the use of an alphabet or other system of symbols; spelling.
4. a system of such symbols: Missionaries provided the first orthography for the language.
5. an orthographic projection, or an elevation drawn by means of it.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.