Pronunciation: (u&thslash;'ur), [key]
1. additional or further: he and one other person.
2. different or distinct from the one mentioned or implied: in some other city; Some other design may be better.
3. different in nature or kind: I would not have him other than he is.
4. being the remaining one of two or more: the other hand.
5. (used with plural nouns) being the remaining ones of a number: the other men; some other countries.
6. former; earlier: sailing ships of other days.
7. not long past: the other night.
8. every other, every alternate: a meeting every other week.
the other one: Each praises the other.
1. Usually, others. other persons or things: others in the medical profession.
2. some person or thing else: Surely some friend or other will help me.
otherwise; differently (usually fol. by than): We can't collect the rent other than by suing the tenant.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.