Pronunciation: (u&thslash;'ur-wīz"), [key]
1. under other circumstances: Otherwise they may get broken.
2. in another manner; differently: Under the circumstances, I can't believe otherwise.
3. in other respects: an otherwise happy life.
or else; if not: Button up your overcoat, otherwise you'll catch cold.
1. other or different; of another nature or kind: We hoped his behavior would be otherwise.
2. in other or different circumstances: An otherwise pleasure had become a grinding chore.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.