Pronunciation: (ot'u-mun), [key]
—adj., n., pl. -mans.
1. of or pertaining to the Ottoman Empire.
2. of or pertaining to the lands, peoples, and possessions of the Ottoman Empire.
1. a Turk.
2. a Turk of the family or tribe of Osman,
3. (l.c.) a cushioned footstool.
4. (l.c.) a low cushioned seat without back or arms.
5. (l.c.) a kind of divan or sofa, with or without a back.
6. (l.c.) a corded silk or rayon fabric with large cotton cord for filling. Also,Othman (for defs. 3, 4).
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.