Pronunciation: (är-selvz', ouur-, ou"ur-), [key]
1. a reflexive form of we (used as the direct or indirect object of a verb or the direct object of a preposition): We are deceiving ourselves. Give us a moment to ourselves.
2. (used as an intensive with we): We ourselves would never say such a thing.
3. Informal.(used in place of we or us, esp. in compound subjects, objects, and complements): The children and ourselves thank you kindly. When it satisfies ourselves, it will be ready to market. The ones who really want the new system are the manager and ourselves.
4. (used in place of we or us after as, than, or but): How many parents are as fortunate as ourselves? No one loves skiing more than ourselves. Nobody heard it but ourselves.
5. our customary, normal, or healthy selves: After a good rest, we're almost ourselves again.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.