Pronunciation: (out'fit"), [key]
—n., v., -fit•ted, -fit•ting.
1. an assemblage of articles that equip a person for a particular task, role, trade, etc.: an explorer's outfit.
2. a set of usually matching or harmonious garments and accessories worn together; coordinated costume; ensemble: a new spring outfit.
3. a set of articles for any purpose: a cooking outfit.
4. a group associated in an undertaking requiring close cooperation, as a military unit.
5. a business firm engaged in a particular form of commercial enterprise: a construction outfit.
6. any company, party, or set.
7. the act of fitting out or equipping for any purpose, as for a voyage, journey, or expedition.
8. mental, physical, or moral equipment.
1. to furnish with an outfit, equipment, etc.; fit out; equip: to outfit an expedition to the South Pole.
2. Naut.to finish equipping (a vessel) at a dock.
to furnish oneself with an outfit.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.