Pronunciation: (out'rig"ur), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/outrigger.html on line 73 [key]
1. a framework extended outboard from the side of a boat, esp., as in South Pacific canoes, supporting a float that gives stability.
2. a bracket extending outward from the side of a racing shell, to support an oarlock.
3. the shell itself.
4. a spar rigged out from a ship's rail or the like, as for extending a sail.
5. a long, flexible rod, attached to a fishing boat near the stern, along which a fishing line may be threaded to keep it clear of the boat's wake when trolling.
6. a structure extending outward from a vehicle, vessel, or aircraft to increase stability or provide support for something.
7. a projecting beam, as for supporting a hoisting tackle.
8. a horizontal steel beam extending the base of a crane.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.