Pronunciation: (out"stan'ding), [key]
1. prominent; conspicuous; striking: an outstanding example of courage.
2. marked by superiority or distinction; excellent; distinguished: an outstanding student.
3. continuing in existence; remaining unsettled, unpaid, etc.: outstanding debts.
4. (of securities and the like) publicly issued and sold or in circulation.
5. standing out; projecting: a stiff, outstanding fabric.
6. Archaic.that resists or opposes.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.