Pronunciation: (ok'si-dīz"), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/oxidize.html on line 77 [key]
—v., -dized, -diz•ing. Chem.
1. to convert (an element) into an oxide; combine with oxygen.
2. to cover with a coating of oxide or rust.
3. to take away hydrogen, as by the action of oxygen; add oxygen or any nonmetal.
4. to remove electrons from (an atom or molecule), thereby increasing the valence. Cf. reduce (def. 12).
1. to become oxidized.
2. (esp. of white wine) to lose freshness after prolonged exposure to air and often to darken in color. Also, esp. Brit.,ox'i•dise".
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.