Pronunciation: (pu-sif'ik), [key]
1. tending to make or preserve peace; conciliatory: pacific overtures.
2. not warlike; peaceable; mild: a pacific disposition.
3. at peace; peaceful: a pacific era in history.
4. calm; tranquil: The Wabash is a pacific river.
5. (cap.) of or pertaining to the Pacific Ocean.
6. (cap.) of or pertaining to the region bordering on the Pacific Ocean: the Pacific states.
1. See Pacific Ocean.
2. a steam locomotive having a four-wheeled front truck, six driving wheels, and a two-wheeled rear truck. See table under Whyte classification
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.