Pronunciation: (pān), [key]
1. physical suffering or distress, as due to injury, illness, etc.
2. a distressing sensation in a particular part of the body: a back pain.
3. mental or emotional suffering or torment: I am sorry my news causes you such pain.
a. laborious or careful efforts; assiduous care: Great pains have been taken to repair the engine perfectly.
b. the suffering of childbirth.
5. Informal.an annoying or troublesome person or thing.
6. feel no pain, Informal.to be intoxicated: After all that free beer, we were feeling no pain.
7. on, upon, or under pain of, liable to the penalty of: on pain of death.
8. pain in the ass, Slang (vulgar). pain (def. 5).
9. pain in the neck, Informal.pain (def. 5).
1. to cause physical pain to; hurt.
2. to cause (someone) mental or emotional pain; distress: Your sarcasm pained me.
to have or give pain.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.