Pronunciation: (pānt), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/paint.html on line 75 [key]
1. a substance composed of solid coloring matter suspended in a liquid medium and applied as a protective or decorative coating to various surfaces, or to canvas or other materials in producing a work of art.
2. an application of this.
3. the dried surface pigment: Don't scuff the paint.
4. the solid coloring matter alone; pigment.
5. facial cosmetics, esp. lipstick, rouge, etc., designed to heighten natural color.
6. Chiefly Western U.S.a pied, calico, or spotted horse or pony; pinto.
1. to coat, cover, or decorate (something) with paint: to paint a fence.
2. to produce (a picture, design, etc.) in paint: to paint a portrait.
3. to represent in paint, as in oils, tempera, or watercolor: to paint an actress as the Muse of tragedy.
4. to depict as if by painting; describe vividly in words: The ads painted the resort as a winter wonderland.
5. to color by or as if by painting: Sunset painted the clouds pink.
6. to apply a substance to, as a liquid medicine or a cosmetic: to paint a cut with iodine.
1. to coat or cover anything with paint.
2. to engage in painting as an art: She has begun to paint in her spare time.
3. to put on or use facial cosmetics.
4. paint the town red, Informal.to celebrate boisterously, esp. by making a round of stops at bars and nightclubs. Also,paint the town.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.