Pronunciation: (pan'yur, -ē-ur), [key]
1. a basket, esp. a large one, for carrying goods, provisions, etc.
2. a basket for carrying on a person's back, or one of a pair to be slung across the back of a beast of burden.
3. a similar type of bag, usually one of a pair, fastened over a bicycle's rear wheel.
4. (on a dress, skirt, etc.) a puffed arrangement of drapery at the hips.
5. an oval framework formerly used for distending the skirt of a woman's dress at the hips. Also,panier.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.