Pronunciation: (pâr'unt, par'-), [key]
1. a father or a mother.
2. an ancestor, precursor, or progenitor.
3. a source, origin, or cause.
4. a protector or guardian.
5. Biol.any organism that produces or generates another.
6. Physics.the first nuclide in a radioactive series.
1. being the original source: a parent organization.
2. Biol.pertaining to an organism, cell, or complex molecular structure that generates or produces another: parent cell; parent DNA.
to be or act as parent of: to parent children with both love and discipline.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.