Pronunciation: (pu-rī'i-tl), [key]
1. Anat.of, pertaining to, or situated near the side and top of the skull or the parietal bone.
2. Biol.of or pertaining to parietes or structural walls.
3. Bot.pertaining to or arising from a wall: usually applied to ovules when they proceed from or are borne on the walls or sides of the ovary.
4. pertaining to or having authority over residence, and esp. visitation regulations between the sexes, within the walls or buildings of a college or university: a listing of the parietal regulations for the law students' dormitory.
1. Anat.any of several parts in the parietal region of the skull, esp. the parietal bone.
2. parietals.Also called pari'etal rules'. campus regulations governing visits between members of opposite sexes to each other's dormitories or rooms.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.