Pronunciation: (pär'shul), [key]
1. being such in part only; not total or general; incomplete: partial blindness; a partial payment of a debt.
2. biased or prejudiced in favor of a person, group, side, etc., over another, as in a controversy: a partial witness.
3. pertaining to or affecting a part.
4. being a part; component; constituent.
5. Bot.secondary or subordinate: a partial umbel.
6. partial to, having a liking or preference for; particularly fond of: I'm partial to chocolate cake.
2. Acoustics, Music.See partial tone.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.