Pronunciation: (pärt'nur), [key]
1. a person who shares or is associated with another in some action or endeavor; sharer; associate.
a. a person associated with another or others as a principal or a contributor of capital in a business or a joint venture, usually sharing its risks and profits.
b. See special partner.
3. See silent partner.
4. a husband or a wife; spouse.
5. either of two people who dance together: my favorite partner in the waltz.
6. a player on the same side or team as another: My tennis partner was an excellent player.
7. partners, Naut.a framework of timber round a hole in a ship's deck, to support a mast, capstan, pump, etc.
1. to associate as a partner or partners with.
2. to serve as the partner of.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.