Pronunciation: (pas"pär-tOO'; Fr. päs-par-tOO'), [key]
—pl. -toutsPronunciation: (-tOOz'; Fr. -tOO'). [key]
1. something that passes everywhere or provides a universal means of passage.
2. a master key; skeleton key.
3. an ornamental mat for a picture.
4. a method of framing in which a piece of glass is placed over a picture and is affixed to a backing by means of adhesive strips of paper or other material pasted over the edges.
5. paper prepared for this purpose.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.