Pronunciation: (pas'ing, pä'sing), [key]
1. going by or past; elapsing: He was feeling better with each passing day.
2. brief, fleeting, or fortuitous; transitory: to take a passing fancy to something.
3. done, given, etc., in passing; cursory: a passing mention.
4. surpassing, preeminent, or extreme.
5. indicating satisfactory performance in a course, on a paper, in a test, etc.: a passing grade on a test.
surpassingly; exceedingly; very.
1. the act of a person or thing that passes or causes something to pass.
2. a means or place of passage.
3. in passing, by the way; incidentally: The speaker mentioned his latest book in passing.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.