Pronunciation: (pa-stel'; esp. Brit. pas'tl), [key]
1. a color having a soft, subdued shade.
2. a kind of dried paste made of pigments ground with chalk and compounded with gum water.
3. a chalklike crayon made from such paste.
4. the art of drawing with such crayons.
5. a drawing so made.
6. a short, light prose study or sketch.
1. having a soft, subdued shade.
2. drawn with pastels: a pastel portrait.
Pronunciation: (pas'tel), [key]
1. the woad plant.
2. the dye made from it.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.