Pronunciation: (pā'tur-nos'tur, pä'-, pat'ur-), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/paternoster.html on line 77 [key]
1. (often cap.) Also,Pa'ter Nos'ter.the Lord's Prayer, esp. in the Latin form.
2. a recitation of this prayer as an act of worship.
3. one of certain beads in a rosary, regularly every 11th bead, differing in size or material from the rest and indicating that the Lord's Prayer is to be said.
4. any fixed recital of words used as a prayer or magical charm.
5. a doorless, continuously moving elevator for passengers or goods, having numerous platforms or compartments that rise or descend on a moving chain.
6. (cap.) Archit. See pearl molding.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.