Pronunciation: (pā'ôf", -of"), [key]
1. the payment of a salary, debt, wager, etc.
2. the time at which such payment is made.
3. the consequence, outcome, or final sequence in a series of events, actions, or circumstances: The payoff was when they fired him.
4. Informal.the climax of something, esp. a story or joke.
5. a settlement or reckoning, as in retribution or reward.
6. Informal.a bribe.
yielding results, esp. rewarding or decisive results: The payoff play was the long pass into the end zone.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.