Pronunciation: (pē'nut", -nut), [key]
1. the pod or the enclosed edible seed of the plant, Arachis hypogaea, of the legume family: the pod is forced underground in growing, where it ripens.
2. the plant itself.
3. any small or insignificant person or thing.
a. Informal.a very small amount of money: working for peanuts.
c. small pieces of Styrofoam used as a packing material.
1. of or pertaining to the peanut or peanuts.
2. made with or from peanuts.
3. Informal.small, insignificant, or petty.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.