Pronunciation: (ped'l or, for 6–8, pēd'l), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/pedal.html on line 73 [key]
—n., v., -aled, -al•ing or (esp. Brit.) -alled, -al•ling,
1. a foot-operated lever used to control certain mechanisms, as automobiles, or to play or modify the sounds of certain musical instruments, as pianos, organs, or harps.
2. a leverlike part worked by the foot to supply power in various mechanisms, as the bicycle.
a. a foot-operated keyboard, as on an organ or harpsichord.
b. any of the keys of such a keyboard.
c. See pedal point.
to work or use the pedals, as in playing an organ or propelling a bicycle.
to work the pedals of (an organ, bicycle, etc.).
1. of or pertaining to a foot or the feet.
2. of or pertaining to a pedal or pedals.
3. using pedals: a pedal mechanism.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.