Pronunciation: (pen'dunt), [key]
1. a hanging ornament, as an earring or the main piece suspended from a necklace.
2. an ornament suspended from a roof, vault, or ceiling.
3. a hanging electrical lighting fixture; chandelier.
4. that by which something is suspended, as the ringed stem of a watch.
5. a match, parallel, companion, or counterpart.
6. Also,pennant. Naut.a length of rope attached to a masthead, the end of a yardarm, etc., and having a block or thimble secured to its free end.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.